FPV Booster V3 (Android) includes a FPV Camera add-on, which is developed by the official DJI SDK. It's compatible with both Phantom 2 Vision+ V2 and V3.
FPV Camera is an In-App purchase module in FPV Booster V3. It brings a complete new FPV experience for flying DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ with innovative features. However, it does not intend to replace or duplicate DJI VISION app, while certain features and settings of VISION app are excluded, such as Ground Station, Compass Calibration, Current RTH Altitude, Binding, Rename Ranger Extender SSID, etc. We prefer innovation instead of copycat.
1. Important Notes
• When you open the app first time, you need internet connection. Otherwise, there is an error message "You need internet connection to open the app first time for DJI SDK registration." When you get this error message, make sure you have internet connection, then restart the app again.
• When you switch back-and-forth between DJI VISION app and FPV Camera (or other DJI SDK apps), you may need to completely QUIT (by back button all the way out) or KILL (by third-party task manager/killer app) the non-used apps to avoid locking up FPV connection in the background. Otherwise, you may see "Phantom Connection Broken" and "Video Signal Lost" messages shown on FPV Camera screen.
2. Caching Google Map
Google Map is a key component in FPV Camera for flying with both FPV and navigation map. You may need to cache Google Map in advance for offline use, in case you don’t have internet access in the field. Open Find My Phantom (Satellite mode by default) with internet access, tap My Location icon (upper-right) to center your current location rapidly on the map. You may then zoom in/out and pan the map for caching your planned flight location.
3. Navigation Mode
All navigation modes maintain correct aspect ratio of FPV video feed regardless of screen size and resolution. There are 3 indicators (Home, Pilot, Aircraft) included in Google Map with auto-zoom and auto-rotate capabilities. The indicators do not show up if they cannot be located on the map.
Display the Pilot point and orientation of Android device. If you hold your device almost flat, the map, Wi-Fi Wand or pilot orientation may keep toggling upside-down. You may try to (1) maintain an angle of holding your device, (2) lock the landscape orientation of your device or (3) rotate your device 180°.
When Home point is locked and shown explicitly at correct location on the map, it means you are safe to takeoff. It's easier than checking slow flashing green LEDs on the aircraft, or showing LED status in the DJI app.
Current Aircraft GPS location and orientation of Aircraft on the map.
• Wi-Fi Wand (as shown in below screenshot) – Helps to aim Wi-Fi antenna of range extender toward the Aircraft. It's availalbe after takeoff and Wi-Fi Wand option enabled. You may need to calibrate the compass of Android device if you find inaccurate bearing of Wi-Fi Wand or Google Map.
• Auto-zoom – Both Navigation Map and Radar Map keep zooming in/out based on flying distance between the Aircraft and Home/Pilot.
• Auto-rotate – The map rotates per device orientation.
• Navigation Map – Display both FPV live feed and map side-by-side. This is a better option for larger screen devices, such as 4.7" or larger.
• Radar Map – Display FPV live feed in full screen with small map at lower-right of the screen. This is a better option for smaller screen devices.
• Full Screen – Display FPV live feed in full screen.
• Full Map – Display full map screen and Settings icon is shown at lower-right corner to access Settings menu.
4. Custom Warning Message (Yellow icon)
• Battery: Display “Low Battery” message and “beep” sound to remind battery dropping below custom defined level (Disable, 20%, 25%, 30%,35%, 40%).
• Pilot/Home Distance: Display “Exceeding Pilot/Home Distance” message when Home and Pilot exceeding the custom defined distance (Disable, 10m, 20m, 30m, 40m, 50m, 100m, 150m, 200m). In general, the distance between Home and Pilot should not be too far away. In case of the Home point is set to somewhere far away from Pilot, it may imply incorrect GPS location of Home/Pilot.
• Satellite: Display “Insufficient Satellite” message when the number of satellites dropping below custom defined level (Disable, 6, 7, 8, 9).
• Speed: Display “Speeding” message when the aircraft flying faster than the custom defined limit (Disable, 39.6, 43.2, 46.8, 50.4, 54.0, 57.6, 61.2, 64.8 km/h).
5. Alert Message (Yellow icon)
• Displays “Wi-Fi SSID: current_connected_network" message when it's NOT connected to Phantom_XXXXXX network, and lets you know the current network (such as your home Wi-Fi network) you are connected.
• Display "Wi-Fi Network Lost" message when there is no Wi-Fi network connected, such as you out-fly Wi-Fi range or turn-off Wi-Fi on your iDevice.
• Display "Video Signal Lost" message when FPV live feed dropped.
• Display "Possible GPS Error" message when invalid GPS location of Home Point or Phantom detected.
6. Gesture Control
Gesture is available on FPV live feed screen excluding map area (as shown above in Radar Map). We minimize using solid buttons in user interface design to maximize viewable screen area.
• Settings Menu (one-finger swipe-left)
• Camera Tilt-up/down SLOWER (swipe up/down SHORTER and HOLD, release to stop)
• Camera Tilt-up/down FASTER (swipe up/down LONGER and HOLD, release to stop)
• Camera Shutter (one-finger double-tap) - You may still shoot JPEG when recording video. If Photo Format is set to RAW, only JPEG is saved when recording video.
• Start/Stop Video (two-finger double-tap) - You may also use the recorder button (red dot) as shown in Navigation Map above.
Progressive tilting gesture allows superb control of camera tilting on Android device screen. The new gesture is similar to tilting wheel (left dial) of DJI V3 remote controller. The more you turn, the faster the tilting.
Progressive Tilting Demo http://youtu.be/9xSfHabCewY
7. Other Features
• Auto Recording: It starts/stops video recording automatically when turning on/off motor. This is a handy feature to avoid forgetting start/stop video recording.
• Wi-Fi Wand: Toggle On/Off Wi-Fi Wand on the map.
• Combine Home/Pilot Point: For those devices without GPS, Pilot Point is usually inaccurate. This option allows you to group Pilot Point to Home Point together, while Home Point is usually reported correctly from Phantom GPS.
• Hide Video Timer: DJI camera shows recording timer in video feed. This option allows you to hide such timer because of FPV Camera has its own timer on status bar.
• Auto Booster: Indicates FPV Booster activated automatically upon turning on motor, with Normal or Smart boosting options.
• Map Type: Normal, Satellite, Hybrid and Terrain
• Compass Offset: 0°, 90°, -90° - In case some Android devices responding incorrect compass bearing (usually +/-90°), this option allows to offfset Google Map, Wi-Fi Wand, and Phantom orientation.
• VSI (Vertical Speed Indicator): Indicate vertical speed of aircraft ascending (positive) or descending (negative) in m/s or ft/s.
• Find My Phantom: Display the last known location on the map with Latitude/Longitude.
8. Custom Telemetry Data
FPV Camera provides up-to 12 customizable items of telemetry data in the Settings menu.
• Display Telemetry Data: Toggle On/Off to show custom telemetry items
• Display Telemetry Data Label: Toggle On/Off to show custom telemetry labels
Items indicated with (Label) below are available as custom telemetry.
- Battery Temperature (C)
- Battery Temperature (F)
- Battery Current (A)
- Battery Remaining Capacity (mAh)
- Battery Voltage (V)
- Battery Discharge
- Battery Full Charge Capacity (mAh)
- Battery Life (%)
- Battery Level (%)
- Battery Remaining Capacity (mAh)
- Phantom Pitch
- Phantom Roll
- Phantom Yaw
- Phantom Satellite
- Phantom Altitude (m or ft)
- Phantom Latitude, Longitude: display in 2 lines
- Phantom Distance (m or ft)
- Phantom Height (m or ft): offset altitude based on takeoff as zero
- Phantom Speed (km/h or mph)
- Phantom H.Speed (km/h or mph)
- Phantom V.Speed (m/s or ft/s)
- Range Extender Battery Level (%)
- Wi-Fi Signal Strength (dBm)
9. Known Issues
• For some incompatible Android devices (especially on some rooted devices), the app may crash when you open FPV Camera (or Settings menu), you should then uninstall it immediately for refund.
• FPV Camera is developed with DJI SDK and the SDK is with some instability issues. If you experience performance issue, you may need to quit the app (by BACK button all the way out) and restart the app again.
• Auto-zoom Google Map might have delay refreshing, and you may zoom-out/in a bit to force it refreshing as a workaround.
• The app requires compass and GPS built-in Android devices. Both Google Map and Wi-Fi Wand bearing require compass, while Pilot Point needs correct GPS location.
• If you set "Don't keep activities" checkbox in Android Settings > Developer options, it will return to home page when you tap on any button.
• When it's running low battery (~15%-18%), "IMU Unknown Error" is generated from SDK and shown on screen.
• There are various settings unavailable in FPV Camera comparing to DJI app. Most of these settings (such as Compass Calibration, Low Battery Auto Go Home, Current RTH Altitude, FPV Mode, etc.) are stored on the aircraft. Once you set them with DJI app or PC/Mac Assistant software, you can fly with FPV Camera inheriting those settings.